It’s no secret that the food we put into our bodies can have a massive impact on how we feel. We’ve all experienced the bliss of indulging in our cravings, but let’s not forget the not-so-joyful aftermath of a sugar binge. Brain fog, anxiety on overdrive, and a dip in energy are just a few of the unwelcome guests that can follow.
But fear not, because we’re here to dish out our top tips on how to use food to supercharge your mood! 💥
1. Rise and Shine with Nutrient-Packed Breakfasts!
We’re starting with the basics, because they truly work wonders. Begin your day with a breakfast that’s packed with whole foods and energy that lasts. Opt for overnight oats – they’re an absolute game-changer! Their combo of high-fibre goodness and slow-digesting carbs delivers a steady stream of energy. Say goodbye to that mid-morning slump that tempts you towards sugar as a rescue mission. Check out our scrumptious overnight oats for a performance peak that lasts all morning long.
2. Amp Up Amino Acids for Mental Mojo!
Protein-packed foods bring in the big guns – amino acids that our brains adore. Tryptophan and Tyrosine, the essential amino aces, have shown their mood-boosting prowess. Research has linked their deficiency to a surge in anxiety, depression, and irritability. Ready to prioritise mental wellness? Seek out sources like chicken, peanuts, spinach, eggs, and avocados. You’ll find these mood champions in our prepped meal plans, with added high-quality protein power in many of our breakfasts.
3. Snack Like a Champion, Sugar-Free Style!
Wave goodbye to those seemingly healthy snacks that secretly harbour excessive sugar. Opt for a protein ball made from rolled oats, high-protein cereal or indulge guilt-free in our homemade Chocolate and Prune brownie bites.
The best bit? Most of our snacks contain just 6 ingredients or less. You’ll have the inside scoop on exactly what fuels you, with no nasty hidden additives.
4. Embrace the Power of Good Fats! Guess what? Fat isn’t the enemy – it’s a brain-boosting ally! Avocados take the crown as a source of amazing unsaturated fats that support brain function. Chia seeds, almonds, and sustainably sourced fish are all on the hit list at The Good Prep HQ for a brainpower upgrade. Try our Chia Pot for a healthy prepped breakfast that will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
5. Keep Your Energy Up With Regular Meals! It might sound counterintuitive if you’re on a weight loss journey, but trust us – consistent eating is key. Steer clear of blood sugar crashes that mimic mental health symptoms like anxiety and low productivity. Opt for small, frequent meals packed with whole foods to fuel your energy, uplift your mood, and keep you on track.
And here’s the cherry on top! If you’re ready to level up your meal prep game, we’re here for you at The Good Prep. We’ve curated a range of meal plans tailored to your unique goals. Want to shed some pounds and get fit? Maintain your current physique while freeing up time for more of the things that matter? Or maybe it’s all about the gains – we’ve got a plan for that too!
And if you’re all about that bespoke life, you can build your perfect meal prep plan. Our skilled chefs will whip up the magic in our kitchens and your fresh, never-frozen meals will arrive right at your doorstep. Simply heat up at home or work (or embrace the chill if that’s your thing), and you’re ready to conquer. Intrigued? Start crafting your meal plan here and get ready to fuel your mood like never before.
Here’s an extra scoop of knowledge to power up your food-for-mood journey. Did you know that antioxidants, those incredible warriors fighting off free radicals in your body, are also superheroes for your mind? Load up on vibrant fruits and veggies like blueberries, spinach, and kale – they’re bursting with antioxidants that support brain health and mental clarity.
And speaking of mental clarity, don’t skip the B vitamins! They’re like a symphony conductor for your brain, ensuring all the right signals are firing. Find these in whole grains, lean proteins, and leafy greens.
Many studies show that healthy eating patterns are associated with improved mental wellness. For all you fellow nutrition nerds 🤓, check out this study here. Happy reading and eating! 🥦📚